The Powergrid available on a Ship is a measurement of how much power its reactor has available for use by fitted Modules. Along with CPU and Slots, a ship's Powergrid is one of the three primary limitations on modules that are able to be installed. Note that Powergrid is distinct from Capacitor.
Powergrid output is a static number that is consumed by fitting modules to a ship. Modules that are fitted to a ship that does not have sufficient Powergrid will be Offlined until enough Powergrid is made available.
- A ship's total Powergrid output is increased 5% per level of Engineering skill.
- The Advanced Weapon Upgrades skill decreases the Powergrid requirements of all Turrets, Missile Launchers, and Smartbombs by 2% per level.
- The Shield Upgrades skill decreases the Powergrid requirements of Shield Resistance Amplifiers, Shield Extenders, and Shield Rechargers by 5% per level.
- The Hybrid Weapon Rigging, Energy Weapon Rigging and Projectile Weapon Rigging skills will decrease the drawbacks of Energy, Hybrid or Projectile Weapons Rigs by 10% for each level (the drawback of the rigs is a 10% increase in power grid need for that weapon type).
- Auxiliary Power Controls (aka, Micro Auxiliary Power Cores), increase the Powergrid of the ship by a small, yet absolute number. It is ideal for Frigates, who would benefit less from a percent increase than a static one due to their low starting Powergrids.
- Power Diagnostic Units give a small percent increase to Powergrid, as well as a series of small enhancements to Shields and Capacitor. It is ideal if only a small increase is needed to Powergrid, since you can enjoy the other benefits as a side-effect.
- Reactor Control Units give a percent increase to Powergrid. Larger ships benefit more from this module due to their greater Powergrids.
- The Slot 6 Hardwiring Inherent Implants 'Squire' PG series of Implants will increase the Powergrid of the ship you are currently in by 1, 3, or 5% depending on which you have plugged in.
- The Slot 6 Hardwiring Zainou 'Gnome' KUA500, KUA1000 and KUA2000 will reduce shield upgrade module power needs by 1%, 3% or 5% respectively.
- The Core Defence Charge Economizer decreases the Powergrid requirements of Shield Resistance Amplifiers, Shield Extenders, and Shield Rechargers by a percent.
- Ancillary Current Router I and Ancillary Current Router II increase the powergrid by 10% and 15% respectively.
- The Energy, Hybrid or Projectile Weapons Rigs will increase the power grid need by 10% for that weapon type (which is bad thing).